Hawks Fall to Brewster, 6-1

The Hyannis Harbor Hawks came up short in their pursuit of a 2 and 0 start to the summer, falling to the Brewster Whitecaps 6-1.  First pitch at McKeon Park was once again at 6:00 P.M. tonight, both teams entering the game at 1-0 after a couple of opening day wins.  The Whitecaps high powered offense (that has now scored 12 runs in two games), was too much for the Hawks.

Kevin Coulter out of Mercer University, who ended his collegiate campaign on a hot streak, took the ball for Hyannis tonight.  Besides winning 4 straight decisions for Mercer, he finished the year out with a complete game in which he only allowed 1 run.  He was 12-5 on the year with a 4.41 ERA in 85.2 innings pitched.

He started his summer tonight with an impressive performance, going 5.1 innings allowing only 1 earned run.  After giving up a two out single in the first inning, he allowed a double to left field, where Daniel Robinson (Central Michigan) was there to throw a laser to gun the Whitecap runner out at the plate.

The second inning got off to a rough start as the leadoff batter reached first base on an error.  Two batters later the runner on first stole second, and then stole third following a dropped pickoff throw. The runner then scored on a pop fly, which went unearned because of the two errors that took place.  Coulter really settled in after that, as he pitched two clean 1-2-3 innings in the 3rd and 4th, and only allowed a single in the 5th.

 Coulter walked the first batter of the 6th, who stole second and on the next out advanced to 3rd.  This was the end of the night for Coulter, as he was replaced by Matthew Mervis out of Duke University with 1 out in the inning.  Although Mervis gave up a well hit ball to dead center, Reece Hampton (Charlotte) made a spectacular Willie Mays-like over the shoulder catch that let the runner on 3rd tag up to score (earned run for Coulter), but prevented further damage.

 After two leadoff walks in the 7th, Mervis was pulled as Davis Vainer out of the University of Alabama came in to try to get the Hawks out of trouble.  A pass ball advanced the runners to 2nd and 3rd, and then back to back base hits put 2 more runs on the board for Brewster.  A one out walk filled the bases with Whitecaps, putting Vainer in quite the jam.  A fielder’s choice scored 1 run, and then Vainer was able to get the next batter out to finally end the 3 run inning.

 Connor Green out of Ole Miss entered the game in the 8th inning in which he got off to a bit of a shaky start, surrendering a walk, followed by a hit that advanced the lead runner to 3rd.  After a pass ball brought home the runner from 3rd, Green took a deep breath and quickly retired 3 straight batters, the final two being strikeouts.

 Ricky Constant out of UMass Lowell came in the game in the 9th and had his pitches working for him.  Following a 1 out walk, Constant fanned back to back batters on nasty curveballs which gave Brewster their first scoreless inning since the 5th.

 There wasn’t much doing tonight for the Harbor Hawks offense, as they faced some stellar Whitecap pitching.  Although they had 7 hits, they were unable to score until the 9th inning on a Daniel Robinson two out single.  Reece Hampton, who had a great game defensively with the glove, provided production with the bat as well with a double and a triple.  The two of them had multi-hit games along with Micah Coffey (Minnesota).  Robert Neustrom (Iowa) was the only other Harbor Hawk with a hit in tonight’s ball game.

 The Harbor Hawks will cross the bridge tomorrow to take on the Wareham Gateman at 6:30. If you can’t make the ride out to Wareham, be sure to follow @HyannisGameday on Twitter for live play-by-play updates throughout the game.  Look for the Hawks to improve their record to 2-1, hopefully we see you in Wareham tomorrow!

-Dylan Porcaro (Intern, Hyannis Harbor Hawks)