Big Win for the Hawks, 7-4

The Hyannis Harbor Hawks crossed the bridge tonight to battle the 4th place Wareham Gatemen. They entered the game 6 points behind the Gatemen in the standings, so a win was key to keep the playoff hopes alive.

The Hawks jumped out to an early lead tonight in the top of the 3rd. Ford Proctor drew a walk, and would go on to take second base on a passed ball. With two outs, Reece Hampton drove Proctor in with a base hit.

Kevin Coulter got the nod for the Hawks tonight. He was dealing through the first two innings, but ran into trouble in the 3rd. After two quick outs, an error put a runner on first base for the Gatemen. Three straight hits after that would go on to score two runs and end Coulter’s night. Trysten Barlow came in to get the final out of the inning.

Barlow gave up a run in the 4th as Wareham extended their lead to 3-1. After that, it seemed like luck was on the Hawks’ side. To leadoff the 5th inning, Cesar Trejo hit a routine fly ball to right field but it was dropped. After reaching first base on a fielder’s choice (Trejo out at second), Donovan stole second on a passed ball. Ford Proctor then drew a walk, putting runners on first and second. A balk in the following at bat advanced both runners. Chris Proctor then hit a grounder to second but it was mishandled, allowing everyone to be safe and scoring a run. Reece Hampton hit a sacrifice fly and tied up the game with his second RBI of the night. Hunter Stovall joined the party with an RBI double, giving the Hawks a 4-3 lead.

Ethan Larrison entered the game after Wareham had a leadoff hit in the home half of the 5th. He instantly forced the Gatemen to ground into a double play and ended the inning with a strikeout. A leadoff triple in the 6th made it tough for Larrison to get out of the inning without giving up a run. Sure enough, a hit from the following batter tied the game at 4 runs each. In came Ryan Weiss, and he struck out back to back batters to end the inning.

Chris Proctor got things going in the top of the 7th with a one out double. Hampton then reached first base with a walk, bringing Stovall to the plate. He grounded into what looked like a double play, but the first basemen couldn’t handle the throw, allowing Stovall to reach base safely. Tyler Frank ripped a base hit to right field to score the go ahead run. In the bottom of the inning, Christian Tripp took over for Weiss with one out. He sat down both Gatemen batters that he faced.

Daniel Robinson led the 8th off with a base hit, followed by a perfectly laid down bunt for a hit from Cesar Trejo. The Hawks continued playing small ball, as Donovan advanced both runners with a sacrifice bunt. With two outs, Chris Proctor gave Hyannis a couple of insurance runs with a base hit, extending the lead to 7-4.

Tripp didn’t allow a hit in the 8th, as the Hawks maintained their 3-run lead for Nick Sandlin in the 9th. Although he got into a jam after a walk and hit batter, he struck out two batters in a row. The runners then advanced on a passed ball, but Sandlin got the job done with his third strikeout of the inning.

This was a huge win for a Hyannis team that was previously on a long losing streak. Two straight wins now puts them 4 points behind the Gatemen for a spot in the playoffs. The Hawks will square off against the Falmouth Commodores tomorrow night at 6:00 at Arnie Allen Diamond. Come out to support your Harbor Hawks!

- Dylan Porcaro (Intern, Hyannis Harbor Hawks)